We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Celebration cakes
- Wedding cake
Making your own wedding cake? This vanilla cake recipe makes 1 (25cm) round cake. Double the recipe if you are making a three tiered cake or use as a bottom layer if you plan on making different flavoured tiers.
241 people made this
- 225g (8oz) butter, softened
- 600g (1lb 6oz) caster sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 375g (13oz) plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 225g (8oz) soured cream
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C / Gas mark 3. Lightly grease and flour a 23x33cm baking tin or a 25cm round cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, add to the cake mixture and mix well. Finally, stir in the soured cream. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes just to be sure there are no lumps. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(163)
Reviews in English (139)
I'm afraid on the whole this was a bit of a disaster! I had alarms bells ringing when I measured out the raising agents, I think that 1/4 tsp of baking powder and bicarb alongside plain flour is not quite right. The cake has a lovely flavour, but did not cook in the middle - it was quite solid in texture. It did rise but lacked the light texture you would expect. I used a 25cm round tin.-12 Feb 2013
I love this cake!!! Very Nice Article…-19 Jun 2017
I've made this cake several times & I always get rave reviews. Here are some changes I've made though....Add 1/2 tsp. saltAdd 1/8 Lemon extractAdd 1-2 tsp. Almond extractI add the above in addition to the tablespoon of vanilla.I've also tried a flower nail in the middle to see if it cooks quicker. I'll let you know. A moist yummy dense cake!-28 May 2006